Wednesday, February 13, 2008

So... Did you get your Nigeria Special yet?


Yes, this long-awaited CD compilation finally dropped last week and I meant to blog about it then too... But you might have noticed that I haven't really had the chance to post anything on this page for a while now. I've been spreading the word in other forums both on- and offline, though; so... did you all go out and cop it like I advised you to?

Believe it or not, but I haven't even gotten a copy myself yet! By the time I got to the record store on Thursday, they were S-O-L-D out! They said they're getting some more in by the end of this week, as well as the vinyl edition. I went ahead and reserved two sets of vinyl (the compilation is offered either as a double CD or as two gatefold double LPs). Traditionally I've never been the type who constantly insists on getting doubles on everything, but over the past year or so I have somewhat developed that habit. And hey... All Soundway's releases are so singularly dope and so beautifully packaged, you know that every single one of them is a collector's item in waiting!

So in the meantime, I'm just grooving to all the audio samples on the Nigerial Special site while I wait for my records to arrive.

Man, I cannot wait for Nigeria Rock Special and Nigeria Disco Funk Special to drop in the next couple of months... It feels good to remain excited about going to the record store even as bloggers proclaim the brick & mortar music emporium a thing of the past. Best believe that as long as labels like Soundway, Oriki, Analog Africa, Numero Group and Stones Throw keep on dishing out that good gravy, I'm gonna stay buying music no matter how antiquated that concept might seem in this brave new world!

Here's an ethereal taste, courtesy of our friend Timjim:

Celestine Ukwu - "Okwukwe Na Nchekwube"

Enjoy!

9 comments:

moni said...

very cool... thanks for the heads up!

Haven't been to the local record store this month. Knowing them, they'll probably have it. If not, there's always amazon.

Comb & Razor said...

yeah... i would have ordered it online myself, but whenever it's possible, i try to maintain the buzz that comes from purchasing at a store and taking it home that very day!

DJ Daudi said...

I bought mine from Sound Way. It came a couple of days ago and man o man...what a great set. The music is fantastic and, as I've said on a forum post, the graphic designer should win an award.

CD 1 is top-notch, but CD 2 is non-stop excellence.

Comb & Razor said...

yeah... the artwork is always tops with Soundway. it's a pity that details such as album design are so often overlooked these days!

"Big Al" Maghreb said...

You just know this is going to kick. Man, this is going to be the year of Soundway from what I hear.

Unknown said...

Hi Comb & Razor

A big thanks for the positive words and link.

It surely made me and Miles smile.

Timjim (Fansite builder)

Unknown said...

I forgot. Try this:

http://www.soundwayrecords.com /ekosound/celestine%20ukwu /track1.mp3

It's a full length track for bloggers to hook up to.

Timjim

Comb & Razor said...

no doubt, Timjim... keep the good stuff coming!

(the site looks great so far... can't wait to see what else you've got in store!)

and thanks for the track... i'll add it to the post.

jon said...

well cool comp! I got my copy a couple of weeks ago. I also got Afro baby and Ghana Soundz or whatever it's called for xmas, so Soundway can count me as a big fan. Yes, very cool graphics too. Mucho respec. Quality product man, quality product, know wot I mean?
Jon