Sunday, December 30, 2007

Ekassa fever!

When I posted that Sir Victor Uwaifo's Greatest Hits comp a few months ago, I said that I didn't think it was representative of his best work, but I didn't say what I thought was.

For the record... This:



For my money, Uwaifo's early-70s "Ekassa" recordings captured the most exciting synthesis of his highlife, cubano, Bini and soul & rock influences, with the "Guitar Boy" getting flossy on the axe, drums, organ, flute and xylophone.
SIR VICTOR UWAIFO & HIS MELODY MAESTROES - EKASSA VOL. 2 - TALK OF THE TOWN (PHILIPS, 1973, 6361 033 (PL))

SIDE A
1. Ekassa 28 (Ebibi)
2. Ekassa 34 (Igiodo Giodo)
3. Ekassa 31 (Isede)
4. Ekassa 32 (Votumamuoga)
5. Ekassa 25 (Aiworo)

SIDE B
1. Ekassa 38 (Ame'sihion Segbe)
2. Ekassa 24 (Kikikri)
3. Ekassa 26 (Akhuankhuan)
4. Ekassa 35 (Sumwen-Sowa)
5. Ekassa 29 (Osulelelemule)

Yeah, if I were to select any Uwaifo records for a collection of "classics," I'd definitely have to choose some of these. Here are some (relatively) recent video clips of the perennial showman performing "Ekassa":



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for posting this! I have the album, but there's a huge gouge across the first couple of tracks on Side 1, rendering them uplayable.

I agree, this is probably Uwaifo's greatest album (although they're all great).

Brian Shimkovitz said...

i second that, great stuff, cheers!

Comb & Razor said...

yes, mi friends!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic LP!

thanks for posting this Uchenna.

I've got another of his "Ekassa" Lps

Ekassa Modern Music of African Folklore (LP; Philips [Lagos] 6361 013(PL))

let me know if you'd like a copy of that one.

I had heard some rumour (I guess false) that there would be a reissue of Uwaifo's recording on retroafric or ekosound, it seems to me that he definitely deserves one.

Comb & Razor said...

wow... that would be great, Zim! i've been looking for that "Modern Music of African Folklore" album myself!

it's certainly be cool if they did reissue his LPs, though somehow i just don't see it happening...

finegrs crossed, though!

Anonymous said...

Some of his old songs and albums, like this one, have been reissued on CD in Nigeria and are also available trought some Nigerian onlinestores in the US.
This is Uwaifo's website:
http://www.victoruwaifo.com/index.htm

Toni K said...

Thank you, this is absolutely brilliant! I was so damn relieved when I saw the links weren't dead like on the Ofege post :) Amazing blog, dude.